Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Dear Daddy,


Happy Father's Day!

Thank you so much for loving me unconditionally. I appreciate all that you did for me growing up, and I appreciate how you are my friend now. Thank you for exposing me to the world, and showing me cultures that exist beyond the confines of Mountain Brook, both abroad in places like Spain and France, but also in downtown Birmingham. You have always been my cheerleader...you have given unconditional encouragement in my pursuits (and I definitely couldn't have made it through chemistry or calculus without you!), and I will always remember that. Thank you for giving me the extra push when I needed it, and letting me cry when I suffered from a broken heart, or just from missing home.
I love the time that we spend together now--whether it's discussing books, drinking wine, or talking about the damn hounds. :) Thank you for having embraced Hunter into our family and treating him just like a son...it means the world to me. Thank you for taking my 6 am medical calls (my finger is bleeding, do I need stitches?), and for putting up with the girl talk and People-magazine reading that hasn't yet turned my brain to guacamole. :) Thank you for helping me move into numerous apartments (remember the one in Philly??), and for helping me figure out health insurance. Thank you for running with me (and occasionally behind me)...if you ever want to resume our pursuit of a running race in all 50 states, I'm game. :)
Thank you for being my professional role model...showing interest in and compassion for all of your families and patients. Thank you for connecting me with the field of Child Life...where my talents and passions seemed to find a perfect fit.
Thank you for providing me with 29+ (eek!) years of love, security and experiences...I look forward to making many more memories with you!
Love you lots!!
Katy


And to a few other men in my life:

Dear Scott,
Thank you for being such a wonderful father to Hunter. Thank you for raising him to be such a strong and amazing man, and for modeling through your marriage how a man can respect his wife. Thank you for enriching his life with cultural experiences and supporting him with academics and sports. Thank you for teaching Hunter the importance of family, and thank you for being his friend.
You have accepted me from day 1 and I am so thankful for your family's warm welcome. I am thrilled to be a Knierim!
Love,
Katy

And to my husband...
Dear Hunter,
Happy Father's Day...the dogs wanted to get you a card but because they misbehaved the other day, they didn't get their allowance and then had trouble with the scissors and glue when they tried to make you a card. Nevertheless, thank you for being a wonderful father to our "children". While I know that they are not our flesh and blood, when I see you with them I can imagine how fabulous you will be with our future children. And even though babies cry when you hold them now, I know our future baby will have you wrapped around its finger and I can only wait for the day when s/he will choose you over me. :)
I am so thankful to be married to you and can't wait for what the future has in store for us!
Love you lots-
Me

1 comment:

  1. Ok...so I may not be your father, your father-in-law, or your husband, but I feel like I deserve a little something here! :) jk

    I mean Crosby and I are feeling a little jipped...

    Oh well...here's to knowing that I was always the better child growing up :D

    ReplyDelete