Sunday, June 20, 2010

Phoenix Recap

Last Thursday I flew out to Phoenix to attend and present at the National Child Life Conference. Having never been to the national conference before, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but knew I was excited about the opportunity to present and to reconnect with some former colleagues and dear friends.

Thursday morning I arrived and saw palm trees and blue skies. I had lunch with friends (Tara, my friend from Greenville, was my fabulous roomie), sunned by the pool and practiced for my presentation with my former colleague and friend, Christi.
Thursday night a large group of us decided to go here for dinner. Not my first choice, but it was right across the street, and with the time change, we were all too tired to venture very far. And someone mentioned that they had fried pickles....score.

So our dinner at Hooters was pretty uneventful, but when we were waiting for our checks, Christi laid her head on the table and said "I think I'm going to pass out." Leave it to me to respond, "Oh, me too. With the time change and a drink I think we're all so tired, but we can get our checks and go back to the hotel in just a minute." But she wasn't talking about being tired.....sweet Christi passed out. To make a long story short, Christi was dehydrated and passed out at Hooters. 911 was called and the ambulance and fire truck came. And Christi had to go to the ER.
Clearly Tara and I were going to go with her, so we convinced the super sweet (and cute!) paramedics to take us along, too. I rode in the front of the ambulance, and Tara rode in the fire truck. If Christi hadn't been on the stretcher in the back, I would have thought it was the coolest thing ever (second to the hospital helicopter ride that Memory and I got to take)! My fave part was when they turned on the sirens as we sped through the intersections!!
Thankfully Christi was feeling better after 4 bags of IV fluids and some fabulous laughs courtesy of Tara and me. :) Here are the few photos we snapped that night:

Tara and me posing outside with the fire truck (Christi was in with the nurse and doctor at this point)
And two of the sweet firemen...
And right before discharge!


Our presentation on Friday went fabulously well. We presented to approximately 100 people and couldn't have asked for a better Q&A/discussion session after. And no one passed out. :)
To celebrate, Christi, Tara and I went out for Mexican and Coldstone after. We even spotted Benjamin Bratt (from Miss Congeniality) at a table nearby.
Saturday we attended more sessions and then went to the Diamondbacks vs. Cardinals game that night. We rode a rickshaw there!
Tara, Amy and me riding in luxury (it sure beat walking in the PHX heat!)
At the game
There is even a pool that's a part of the stands that you can rent out...how cool is that! The fountains went off when there was a homerun.


After the game, we went to My Big Fat Greek restaurant to enjoy tasty sangria,
And flaming feta! (Probably best not to attempt to recreate at home)



Despite delays in Newark on my way home, my trip to Phoenix was phenomenal. I felt like I grew as a Child Life Specialist, and made memories that will surely last a lifetime. Thanks, girls, for having fun with me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment