Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

Well, I am here to tell you that I survived the big leap from 29 to 30. I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I looked in the mirror and I didn't have any more wrinkles or gray hairs! It's been a wonderful day, with lots of wishes from sweet friends, and I'm excited to continue the celebration all week, as my birthday party is on Thursday.

To help me remember this day, I wrote myself a letter that I hope to read in 10 years when I'm 40. Feel free to skip if you'd like, I just felt the urge to be a teensy bit sentimental on this milestone birthday!
*************************************************

Dearest Katy:

If you're reading this, you made it through your 30s and all the way to the big 4-0. Good gracious! I hope that you are chuckling about all of the anticipation and drama surrounding your 30th--because you were just so unsure about leaving your 20s--even though multiple people reassured you that the 30s would be your best years yet. So, how were they?

As I wrote this for you on day 1 of your 30th year, I thought about a few things that I thought you had to look forward to between 30 and 40. Did they come true?

I hope that your family grew, with the pitter patter of little feet as music in your and Hunter's ears. I hope that those sweet children tested and grew your patience, because at 30, it still wasn't one of your virtues.

I hope that you savored the moments with Crosby and Ellie--even with all of the howling you loved those dogs to pieces, and I honestly don't know whether Crosby will still be with you at 17 years, or Ellie at 14. I hope that your children got to rub their ears and throw food off the highchair into their begging mouths.

I hope that you made the most of your time with your grandparents. No day is guaranteed, and you were blessed at 30 to have 5 grandparents alive and mostly well. I hope you learned from them and loved them.

I hope that you found satisfaction in your professional life. At 30 you liked your job and loved the path you were walking, but weren't sure where your journey would take you next. Where did you land? At home? In the hospital? In an office? Hopefully working with children somewhere. :)

I know that you're continuing to enjoy time with your parents and your in-laws. They are a huge blessing in your life, both individually and collectively. I hope you teach your children many of the same lessons they taught you.

I hope you laugh daily, and that you've realized that handprints, just like dog hair, only multiply when you stress about cleaning them. I hope you've done art projects and finger paint and playdoh-making and realize that the scratches and spots on your kitchen table all tell a story. I hope your house is one where your children love to invite their friends over, as there are always cookies to bake or tents to put up in the backyard.

At 30, you reflected on your 20s with fondness. Some of the highlights included half of college--roommates who turned into best friends, the unforgettable song Ignition, sorority socials, Apt 1601 wine tasting, mimosa pong, just to name a few. Your 20s marked living alone for the first time and by 26 your diversity of drivers licenses in states across the southeast were like badges of honor and independence. In your 20s you obtained a masters degree, and also met, flirted with, fell in love with and married Hunter. I hope you continue to say a prayer of thanks for him daily and that your marriage has grown, continuing to be rich in love, respect, trust and laughter. Your 20s marked house-buying, china-buying, bridesmaid-dress buying, bachelorette-going and shower-throwing fun. Have you finally come to the realization that some of that "stuff" is temporary but the memories are permanent?

As you read this at 40 I hope you'll take note of some of the best times in your 30s...I wrote this as I embark on this decade, with the best still to come! I cannot wait to hear about your travels, your relationships, your entertaining fiascos, your work, your play and your love.

Take care of yourself and don't forget to wear sunscreen!
Love you,
Katy

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Such a great idea. Hope you had a fabulous birthday and hope you have a fun celebration in a few days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Katy-Babes!! GREAT post! Thanks for sharing. We love you so much!!!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete