Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Struggling to Savor

I honestly cannot believe that it is Christmas week. Christmas is on Saturday???!!!

I have to admit that I have struggled this season...struggled to savor my favorite moments of this season. While we've had a ton of fun commitments and some truly memorable times, I sometimes feel like the entire Christmas season has whizzed by me in a blink. And I hate that.

Some of my favorite holiday moments are wrapped up in family traditions (both Hunter's and mine and the ones we've created as a couple) and we didn't get to experience them this year. I certainly don't want to sound like the Grinch as I was a part of these fun moments and decisions, but I'm also sad.  Due to being in and out of town so much, Hunter and I made the decision this year not to get a tree...that has been hard! We then didn't have a tree to decorate, which usually happens with brandy alexanders in hand and Elf or Christmas Vacation on the tv. I didn't get to make gingerbread men and listen to Christmas carols in the car as I delivered them to our friends. I didn't get to struggle with making my own wreath only to have it die due to major sun exposure on our front door. I didn't even make the dogs wear Christmas collars this year.

In processing my sadness about and longing for what we didn't do, I have learned to be happy for the memories we did make: The Osborne Family Light Spectacular in Disney with my amazing in-laws. The Christmas dinner for 17 with friends (who might as well be family), where the spirit of the season was palpable. Giving and receiving Christmas cards, with many cute babies smiling at me as I open the refrigerator door. Hearing Santa stories from friends with toddlers. Helping one of my families get their gifts from the Salvation Army Angel Tree warehouse. Sending Christmas flowers to Hunter's grandmother as she continues to rehab her pelvis from her car accident.
And then I am thankful for the wonderful family and friends who surround me (sappy, I know).

So this year, I raise my glass of champagne to a different outlook on the season. I say thanks for the memories made this year and look forward to next Christmas season when Hunter and I decorate our tree, reflecting on Christmases and traditions of the past.
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Oh, and on a totally fun note:
Here are my 2 favorite Christmas gifts thus far:



1 comment:

  1. I truly cannot believe how fast the season has gone by either! It's nuts. Hope ya'll have a very Merry Christmas! Did you already get your Hunter boots? What color?

    ReplyDelete