Sunday, February 7, 2010

Groundhog Day

As I told Hunter this morning, I feel like we are in the movie Groundhog Day...every Friday night we brace for snow, spend all day Saturday inside, and then everyone re-emerges on Sunday to let the dogs out, dig out cars and attempt to figure out what time work starts on Monday.
I think this was the first snowfall I can remember where I didn't run outside with my camera. Why, you may ask? Because everything looked exactly the same as it did last weekend!

Hunter and I had a great day yesterday--fire going all day and lots of movie watching. I even made some delicious broccoli cheddar soup. And what's on tap for today? We just got back from a walk with the dogs and before the Super Bowl we must dig out the cars. Oh, and Hunter just told me that NFL Countdown is on all.day.long. :)

Here is the recipe for the soup....it was in this month's issue of Food Network Magazine. It is supposed to taste just like the Broccoli Cheddar soup at Panera and I must say it came pretty darn close! Would definitely make again. Enjoy!


Almost-Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
Active time: 45 min/Total: 1h10 min/Serves: 4

6 Tbsp. unsalter butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 c half-and-half
3 c low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 7-in sourdough bread boules
4 c broccoli florets (about 1 head)
1 large carrot, diced
2.5 c grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish

1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3-4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Add the chicken broth, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the bread bowls: using a sharp knife, cut a circle into the top of each loaf, leaving a 1 inch border all around. Remove the bread top, then hollow out the middle with a fork or your fingers, leaving a thick bread shell.
3. Add the broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli. Return to the pot. (Or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender).
4. Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Add up to 3/4 c of water if the soup is too thick. Ladle into the bread bowls and garnish with cheese.

Katy's notes:
*I used fat free half-and-half and it tasted great.
*I used a combo of fresh and frozen broccoli (just because that's what I had on hand).
*I think you could get by with adding less cheese into the soup....I actually forgot this step and just added some on top when served and it was still great.
*I served with grilled cheese instead of the bread bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment