Friday, January 1, 2010

Recipe Review

Yeterday I made two new recipes that I want to share--both were excellent!


Chicken Chowder

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 c water
1/2 tsp salt
2 baking potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 (17 oz) creamed corn
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
salt and pepper

Directions
Boil chicken in 4 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt for 30 minutes over medium heat. Reserve 3 cups chicken broth. Shred chicken when cool.

Place reserved broth in large Dutch oven; add potatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper and celery. Simmer 10 minutes.

Add corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and shredded chicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper or other favorite seasonings to taste.

**Katy's notes: I used rotisserie chicken and canned chicken broth to make it faster. Also, I like my chowder to be a little thicker, so I only used 1/2 can of tomato sauce and added about 8 oz of whipping cream. It was just a little bit thicker and delicious!

I served the chowder with these biscuits...they are so good that it's totally not worth the time to make them from scratch! Just add a little extra shredded cheddar into the mix and brush the tops with melted butter when they come out of the oven.

The other recipe I made for our NYE get-together last night (this was a HUGE hit!) was Barefoot Contessa's

Caramelized Onion Dip

Ingredients
2 large yellow onions
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 T vegetable or olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup good mayonnaise

Directions
Cut the onions in half & then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds (you will have about 3 cups of onions). Heat the butter & oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, & pepper & saute for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low & cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned & caramelized. Allow the onions to cool. Chop roughly.

Place the cream cheese, sour cream & mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment & beat until smooth. Add the onions & mix well. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
(I served with Ruffles and assorted veggies!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment