Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Comfort.

Tonight I had the privilege of taking dinner to a friend who recently had a baby. I always struggle with what to cook for others--will they like it? will it be too bland/spicy? are they trying to avoid anything specific in their diet?

Tonight I chose homemade pulled pork and homemade macaroni and cheese. In my mind, that's a no fail meal--it can be reheated easily, you can doctor your sandwich as you like, and who doesn't like mac and cheese?! Here's my go-to terrible-for-you-yet-amazingly-delicious macaroni and cheese recipe. Enjoy!


Three-Cheese Macaroni
Food for Thought, The Junior League of Birmingham

Serves 6-8
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 pound macaroni, cooked and drained
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour, sitting to make white sauce. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Add cheeses and spices. Stir until cheeses melt. Combine cheese sauce with macaroni. Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

(When making for another family, I divide macaroni and cheese between 2 loaf pans...one for them and one for us!)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! We just had Paula Deen's mac and cheese the other night and I was wondering if I could freeze it. I may try it. So nice of you! :) I will have to try this recipe too.

    ReplyDelete